Monday, January 18, 2010

a pop culture mass murder

In this world there are few things I know. There are many things I wish I knew, but I’m too lazy to search them out. I would like to know about physics and how the sun works, but that would take too much effort. What doesn’t take much effort on my part is pop culture. I’m driven to it. Television, Movies, Music, Comics. I love that stuff. I’m not the most knowledgeable about anyone of those subjects, but I like to think that I know more than a couple people. Although at the same time I probably don’t. One example would be my old roommate. He knew everything about sports and sitcoms. It was crazy how much he knew. He could school anyone on sitcoms knowledge. It made my little knowledge feel small. Yet here I am still alive and married. Today I wanted to look at music and give a list of some bands I listen to and maybe why. In no correct order here are the bands I like.

1. New Found Glory – If you need a good helping of pop punk music these are the guys. They don’t disappoint. Sure they had one album that was a little emo, but they came back to their pop punk roots for their newest album. Best album by them would be their EP Tip of the Iceberg. It has three original amazing songs and three cover songs.

2. Matt and Kim – This is a new favorite of mine. They’re a nice two person band with synthesizers and drum kit. They have two albums out right now, The Grand is the better of the two CDs. I’m not sure how to categorize them other then cool.

3. Vampire Weekend – I think New England prep school every time I hear their music. I have no clue how else to describe them. Two summers ago I had to have at least one of their tracks on all my mix CDs, I’m not into them that much anymore, but their new album is good.

4. Weezer – They have to be in the list. Since the Blue Album I’ve been in love with these guys. There is just something about them that make me want to scream for joy; although I did lose faith in them after Maladroit. That album was just okay. Then Make Believe came out and I couldn’t care about it. Then the Red Album came out. The only album I never bought. It felt like a downhill fall for so long that I had little hope for Weezer. Then Raditude came out and all was forgiven. I was so good I even started liking the Red Album.

5. Rancid – This spot was the hardest spot to choose. I want to end the list at five but know I can’t. A band that continues to amaze me is Rancid. My favorite album by them is Indestructible. I hated their new album when it came out last year, but after listening to it over and over again, it might be my new favorite album. It’s more of a surf punk feel to it, but it’s amazing.

6. Cake – I don’t care what album as long as it on. They have a sound that is perfect. Okay maybe not perfect, but damn close.

7. The Raveonettes – Lust Lust Lust is an amazing album.

8. NoFX – They’re a beautiful punk sound. Plus they sing about drinking what else could you ask for.

9. Bouncing Souls – Old hard punk or new soft punk doesn’t matter they are amazing.

10. Reel Big Fish – One band that will never die. One band that made me fall in love with ska music. Sure no other ska band is on the list, but that because it’s hard to put a band for one album or one song.

Honorable Mentions:
Jack’s Mannequin, Michael Jackson, Moby, MxPx, Tom Morello, Billy Corgan, Blink 182, Jay-Z, Fort Minor, The Specials, Jimmy Eat World, Kayne West, Kimya Dawson, The Lonely Island, Flight of the Conchords, Lucky Boy Confusion, Billy Joel, The Offspring, and so many more. So many more. There you go Ben, the music i listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment