Sunday, December 27, 2009

a new carol

The presents are unwrapped. The stockings are opened. The Christmas goose is finished, that if you eat goose for Christmas, I personally don’t. During this time of year we think of the many different Christmas stories that are out there. A classic that I’ve always enjoyed a little is the Christmas Carol. If you’re lucky you didn’t go see Jim Carry’s new version of that movie. I know I didn’t want to sully my memory of it. My Scrooge will always be Uncle Scrooge McDuck from Disney. That’s my Christmas Carol, has been since I was a kid. Yet, I feel a little bit like my life has taken a Christmas Carol turn this year. As many people know I work as processor for an armored car company. I get to count money all day long, and it’s not even my money. Every day I go in and count this money, so would Christmas Eve be any different? Of course not. That would be stupid. You need to work on Christmas Eve and count money. As I finished with all the different banks I had to count at around nine that night I thought to myself, what is going on? I felt like Mickey Mouse or Bob Cratchit. I was counting money on Christmas Eve when all I really wanted to do was be with my wife. On the plus side I didn’t have to work on Christmas Day. Thank goodness. One other thing that made me feel like Mickey was the fact that they gave me a Christmas Ham. I did opt to take it at thanksgiving so my family would have ham all of December to eat, but still the same principles applied to the Christmas Carol and my job. I’m pretty lucky to have this job though. They treat me way better than Scrooge ever treated Cratchit. Yet I can’t help but feel a little weird counting money on Christmas Eve

No comments:

Post a Comment