Saturday, December 5, 2009

chapbook

This week I have been ignoring my school work, which is normal for me, and been focusing on Allison’s school work, which is not usual for me. About a month ago Allison asked me to illustrate her chapbook for her. I thought she called it a chatbook, which makes more sense than being called a chapbook. My friend Seej looked it up on Wikipedia to find out what a chapbook is. Wiki said, “Chapbook is a generic term to cover a particular genre of pocket-sized booklet, popular from the sixteenth through to the later part of the nineteenth century. No exact definition can be applied.” Well what I illustrated was a book of poems for Allison. She’s in an advanced poetry class and she wanted me to illustrate them for her collection. This is probably the first time I’ve ever actually illustrated something for someone else. I don’t know of anyone who writes things that need to be illustrated. It was so awesome to help Allison out. I wanted to share some of the illustrations I did for the chapbook. I hope you enjoi.

(Note to see the full sized pictures you need to click on them.)

This is the cover; the chapbook is entitled monsters of my heart. The title actually came after the drawing. It might have had some influence on the name.



This next picture is the illustration for the poem Sixteen. This poem is amazing, like all of Allison's poems. If you can figure out what the poem is about from this picture that would be awesome.





This last picture is the back cover. I actually drew this a really long time ago, but I just colored this picture this week. I felt this was a perfect endcap for the book. You would have to read the poems to understand, but it's perfect. Allison also loves trees, so it makes senses that the tree would replace a monster in the heart.



There were more illustrations, but some of them are old and one of them frames the poem it is illustrating. So this is all you get.

1 comment:

  1. We are the best collaborative team on the planet!! Thank you for working with me :D

    ReplyDelete