Monday, August 8, 2011

Mormon Culture: the art

A couple weeks ago my family had a reunion. It was in Iowa, which is about an eight hour drive for my wife and me. We left very early, because that's the best time to drive somewhere. In the wee hours of the morning many discussions were had, ideas were formulated. One thing we both came to realize is that Mormon Culture suck. Growing up Mormon and still practicing I think I'm allowed to voice my opinion on this matter. I think as a culture the Mormon church is failing. Maybe if you live in Utah you don't feel this way, but I've been to Utah and lived in Idaho, guess what? Their is no culture where in Utah and Idaho.

Today I want to talk about art in Mormon culture. When I think about the art I see hanging in many Mormon houses and churches I feel sorry for those people who view it. Greg Olson, Simon Dewey, and Liz Lemon should not be allowed to sell their art at the high volumes that they do. They are the Thomas Kinkades of the Mormon community. If you like Thomas Kinkade than you do not like art in my opinion. That is how I feel about Greg Olson and company. They are purely out to make money, they has no soul. Their art is death. When I look around at the churches and homes of Mormons, I feel death seeping from them. It's like maple syrup slowly oozing out of maple trees.

Here is one problem, I do not know of any real Mormon artist. That's not completely true. I know this good sculpture in my ward. The pieces I've seen of his are good. Next to Simon Dewey and company they are breath taking. I think people like him should be promoted more in our culture. They should be getting requested for their works.

Here's another problem, every few years (it might be yearly) the LDS church puts on am International Art Competition. I've been to one of these competitions. People from all over the world submit art work based on a theme. It's usually a religious theme, which is fine since the church is sponsoring it. In these competition you actually see real art about the Mormon faith. Some of it is really good and some of it makes me feel dead inside (like Kinkade and Olson). The problem with this is that the show is in Salt Lake City in the Conference Center and that's it. Why? They could go around the world to large cities and have art showings. A huge PR move they are missing. Plus I want to learn about new Mormon artist. I want to be able to purchase prints of their works so I can have good Mormon art in my house. The church buys the winning pieces of every contest. Where are they? From the website info, I'd say they are still in Salt Lake at the Church History Museum.

Why a history museum? Why not start art museums and search out other great Mormon artist. Bring our culture to life. I would want this museum to collect more than just religious art works though. It should be a celebration of us as a people. Mormons are diverse. Do we need a million paintings of pioneers crossing the plains? I don't think so. My pioneer heritage is my parents being baptized in California and moving east in a U haul. Why is there no great art work of modern day pioneers? Why not celebrate all of our pioneer heritage in art instead of just the select few who traveled to Utah in covered wagons and handcarts? Where my parents sacrifice not good enough?

I have rambled on for awhile now. Here's what I want you to get out of this blog.
1. Don't accept the status quo for Mormon art.
2. Greg Olson and company's art should be questioned. Is it really art or commercial packaging?
3. Promote your local Mormon Artist, let your friends and family know about them.
If you do these three things, you will be a better Mormon art consumer and help our culture grow in a good way. Remember Mormon culture does not have to be defined by a select few, you can help redefine it. I know I try everyday. Plus if you know of any good Mormon artist let me know, post it in the comments. I'm sure everyone will be happy to discover new artist.

8 comments:

  1. I think I'm one of the few Mormons in Utah that absolutely refuses to frame and hang "The Family Proclamation" on my walls. It's kind of a joke at our house, my refusal not the proclamation. It's not art and I will only put up things I enjoy. I really like Arnold Frieberg and we have a painting of his in our house that qualifies as our Jesus picture. That's it for our house and that's all there's gonna be as far as Jesus paintings go. Chris has tried a few times to get more Jesus pictures up and he loses every single time. He grew up in Utah, what can I say.

    They do send some of the winning art pieces to visitor centers around the US (I don't know if they go international or not). It would be nice if they made it more open non-LDS people. The Art Competition is every three years. You should do some fun cartoons of the Prophets kind of like your Presidents. That would involve a lot of research to learn about them as younger men but could be kind of neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also refuese to post the Family Proclamation with Jesus Postcards surrounding it. While I don't exactly feel poison oozing out of me when I look at pics of other LDS artists. I do agree. I think they charge an insane ammount of money to decorate your home with "Church" stuff. I only have one pic of Jesus and one Temple pic. I only put up what I love. I have to really, really, really love it to be on my wall.

    I wish there were more pieces out there that were different then what we're used to. But hopefully with time that will change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I refused to hang the Family Proclamation for a while, but Allison wanted it hung and it hag a picture of us in it, so I gave in. The only other piece of "church" art we have hanging is a quilt wall hanging that represents Lehi dream. It's an interpretation that my Mom made herself. It's a one of kind piece of art, very abstract and awesome.

    I was thinking of entering a comic strip into this year International Art Competition, but I haven't had any inspiration of what to do. Although I have been working on a few silly Mormon comics in my daily that I do. Not things the church would show though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, so true. Although I don't like Simon Dewey paintings much, I don't know why but it makes me feel like I'm eating Almond Joy candies... and I no like that. I'll support ya my friend, especially since they're never hang my stuff up in a church, and rightly so. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. We do not have anything up in our house regarding the church yet (including the family proclamation) as I haven't found a single piece of art that I just love and if I do love it, it is usually very expensive. I'm waiting to find the right piece because I won't just put up a picture that everyone else has and is standard and boring. I want a piece that speaks to me and David, one that we will love and treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At my Stake meeting last night I couldn't help but bring bring up this subject. Sometimes it's just awesome to get the blank look on the Stake Presidency's face! Especially the "poison oozing out of the paintings". That's my favorite part. But I was really telling them about the huge PR opportunity they were missing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jeni! You are to funny. I'm glad you did bring it up though. If people don't bring it up than nothing will ever change. It has to start small to change big.

    Krissie, I totally know what you mean. I haven't found any "good" Mormon art that is affordable. Finding it is really hard, unless you live in Utah. I haven't found any since I moved to Indiana.

    Andrew, I would love to see your paintings in a religious setting, but don't change the darkness of your work. A dark Mormon painter would be awesome. It'd be like the Spanish painting that are really creepy of Jesus you see in museums. Do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have one Jesus picture and it's in the kids room. I don't know who painted it but it was the least silly looking one I could find. Plus there are kids in it. I would love it if there was some Mormon artist out there like SHAG. That would be so cool. The only temple pic we have is the one on our wedding day and I think that will probably remain our one and only. I'm also picky about what goes up on my walls but I'm also not good at decorating so who knows what people think of my house. Oh just check out some Friend Magazines, they do random comics of the profits when they were kids.

    ReplyDelete