Saturday, August 27, 2011

Summer is Coming to an End


I hate and love when summer is over here in Bloomington. One thing that is nice about summer being over it the temperature and humidity goes down. The leaves start to change color (that's still about two months away). The sun goes down earlier and earlier, which is nice for me since I go to bed early. Yes, autumn is coming and I can't wait.

The problem with fall in Bloomington, the return of the students. This has always been a double edge sword for me. Without the students I would have never lived in Bloomington period. When I was a kid my Dad taught at the University. Now my wife is one of those many students. There are many ways to tell that the students have moved back. Traffic is doubled through town. You can't walk through Target anymore. There are tons of extra boxes and people inside. It worst than Christmas.

Although the main way I know the students have returned is my habit of almost hitting them on the way to work. During the summer I have no trouble getting to work at four am. Hardly anyone is up and I don't have to worry about people dressed all in black darting out in front of my car as I drive to work. This week I almost hit four or five different people on their way home from the bars. You would think they wouldn't jump out in front of the only car on the road to cross the street. I am always the only car on the street, but they still feel the need to cross the street before I pass. I do not understand this, is waiting ten or twenty seconds really going to affect their time getting home?

As much as I love the end of summer in Bloomington, it's a bitter sweet. I love the crisp weather. I love the changing of colors. I don't like the crazy students jumping in front of my car at four am.

5 comments:

  1. I love autumn in Bloomington, but yes, the traffic is awful when school starts back up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love autumn and you're so lucky to live where you can enjoy it in your own neighborhood and town instead of needing to drive into the mountains to see any color. Jealous! Makes dealing with 4am drunk-walking students worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, students are stupid about walking in front of cars, but the beauty of the fall more than makes up for it, especially when you add in the beauty of the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all love the fall weather in the midwest. The favorite for me is the colorful leaves, but the cooling, changing weather is a close second. Enjoy it for us in Nevada. We won't have cooler temps for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made a deal with myself. Next time a student jumps out in front of my car without thinking... I'm going to run him over like a common diseased possum.

    ReplyDelete