Monday, August 29, 2011

Extreme Mormon's in Primary

Sitting through Primary every week can be a difficult task. As many people know I'm not a big fan of kids. I like my nieces and nephews, but past that I don't really like kids. So, every Sunday I try to help teach primary with Allison (I try, but I don't do a great job at it). One thing I've noticed is that some people in the Primary are a little to extreme when it comes to their beliefs about church and what we should be teaching the primary children. Then there are some people that I feel understand that we are not their main source for gospel teachings and shouldn't force their own opinions on these kids.

I don't know how to deal with the extreme Mormon views. In my opinion they take the commandments to a whole other level. I feel it's important to teach kids right versus wrong, but I feel the need to give them the tools to make correct choices, not tell them one thing is better than another.

A few weeks ago we had a lesson on the Word of Wisdom in Sharing Time. If you know me, you know I really have a hard time with this one. I feel most people don't interpret it correctly and focus on the wrong parts. I was really worried when this lesson started. It could have been a down out slug-fest of misinformation if done by certain people in the Primary. To my surprise it was done really well. They talked about not drinking alcohol and eating good foods. I was amazed how they didn't bring up caffeine. Especially since most Mormons eat tons of it but refuse to drink it. It's my personal opinion if you have a problem with caffeine you shouldn't eat chocolate ever. Some chocolates have as much caffeine as Coke. The lesson was well done that week.

A couple of weeks ago we had a lesson on our bodies. This lesson mas done amazingly. They talked about how we need to dress modestly, but didn't tell kids what type of close were modest. Instead they handed out pictures to color of little boys and girls. They told them to talk them home and discuss with their parent what they felt modest clothing was. They emphasis that this was a topic for them and their parents to decide on. Then they talked a little about what the Strenght of the Youth said, but always making sure the children knew to ask their parents what was correct.

Then this week we had a lesson on keeping our mind clean. This one should have been easier than the last too. Most of the kids in our sharing time don't have to worry about this. The oldest kids are six. Yet, the extreme view point came out. This lesson was done by a different person the the other lessons. She talked about how her kids couldn't watch some kids show because they dressed to immodestly. I asked Allison what that meant to her later and she thought the person was talking about nudity. I was like, I don't think so, because she refereed to kids shows on kid networks. To say the least I can, this person said a few other things that were way beyond the mark. If my children came home and said my primary teacher said this, I'd would tell them that they were wrong and full of crap. I just wanted to walk out of that sharing time and take my class because I really felt she was filling their heads with mis-truths and half-lies. I doubt anyone would feel the same way as me. They probably think that her lesson was fine, even though she was using scare tactics to get the kids to not think bad thoughts, which is impossible, because our minds will think bad thoughts no matter what. It's more of what do we do when they enter our mind versus we're unclean if we have a bad thought.

This post has gone on a little longer than I wanted. What I'm trying to say is if you have kids be careful. Primary might be filling their heads with half truths and opinions as doctrine. I'm not saying all Primary teacher's are bad, I think most are really good. They are doing this for free which I think is amazing. It's the extreme Mormons you have to worry about. The ones that homeschool their kids because they don't want them around non-lds influences (kids). (Not all homeschooling is bad either.)

4 comments:

  1. Good thing you said homeschooling isn't bad! I had a big discussion about several things with a convert friend. She was commenting how people have no problem cutting themselves open for elective cosmetic surgery (boob jobs, tummy tucks,etc) but won't drink a drop of coffee. She said "Aren't our bodies temples?" She talked about all the don'ts that are taught from the Word of Wisdom and I took the opportunity to point out all the do's that are in the WoW that people don't follow. I do live in Utah, land of Extreme Mormons (sounds like a gameshow) and so whenever she or others brings up the topics of Modesty, Caffeine, Movies & Music, Alcohol, or Chastity I love to join the fray and tell my point of view, cuz it usually makes one or two people think and all the others roll their eyes at me. God sent me to Utah to keep things lively!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike I would agree with you. Most teachers are great and I do think all have good intentions - but the way some go about it is wrong. I have to remind my girls (the boys haven't really said anything about their teachers yet that make me wonder, WHAT? like the girls have) that their teacher means well - but a lot of what she says is her opinion - NOT doctrine. And that they need to decide for themself what they would like to do. It is a really good teaching tool at home - but what if I didn't know that their teacher was saying something? What if my kids didn't ask? Yea, as a teacher it is hard!! I usually state to my kids when I am teaching - THIS IS MY OPINION NOT DOCTRINE!!! Just to be on the safe side when I am not sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. I loved it. You know you're pushing all of mom's buttons, right?? I love the homeschooling thing. I laughed out loud. There are always the crazies, we can't get around it. They teach in every auxiliary. Heck, I'm probably one of them some Sunday's. But you have to teach at home. Otherwise you really don't know what they know and what they don't. Mac thought we were a branch off the Lutheren Church for a while. Seriously, where do they get this stuff????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting thoughts.
    I have really been thinking about the idea that we need to start teaching kids how to learn, and not just teaching them this and that, which I think you kinda brought up. If we just teach them a list of rights and wrings it is meaningless to them. If we can help them see the bigger picture, I think we are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete