Tuesday, July 12, 2011

my work hates people

Work at UPS has been getting on my nerves lately. About a month ago we had a meeting (which happens like once a month now) and we talked about how were doing good, but were still making little mistakes here and there. Our boss mentioned even if we do 95% right the next level of management will only look at the 5% were doing wrong. That means we have to step our game up and be 100% on everything. That's fine, it won't happen, but that's a good goal. UPS, doesn't believe in it though. I know I might get in trouble for saying all this, but UPS is full of BS.

I had a spot review this week. In this spot review they check to see how I load my packages. To check to make sure I'm not doing anything that might put myself in danger. These are good spot checks, they don't want people lifting with their backs, twisting, or doing something that isn't safe. I was talking to one of my supervisors about it. He told me that he would have given me a perfect score, because I did everything right, but management tells them to never give anyone a perfect score. It doesn't matter if I loaded 100% accurate. It doesn't matter if I work twice as hard as other people. It doesn't matter if I know the 8 keys to lifting and 5 Keys that LEADS to preventing slips & falls. I can do everything right and know all the correct answers and I still won't be 100%. I can go beyond my duty, which I do everyday and still not get 100%. UPS says one thing, but they don't do it. They want 100%, but they refuse to give it. I'm sick of how they act like they care, but they don't. They see their employees as cogs. They want to make sure they are well oiled, but they don't care about anything else. Today, I was working in 80 degree weather, but no fans were blowing to cool us off. Did they care that their employees could have had a heat stroke? Not until one of them does.

What I am saying is I'm not happy with my work conditions. They try to make us work hard, but they forget were humans. Their idea of a good employee is a fast employee. The faster the better. Who cares if they burn out? I should know, that what they are doing to me. If you do a good job they just give you more work and work you harder. If you do a poor job they make your work load easier. The system is messed up. I want to slack off and make my loads easier, but I can't do that to my drivers. They're good guys and don't deserve to have to load their own trucks, but one of them is. Why? Cause I have to much work to finish his truck before he leaves.

Remember, even if you give 100% UPS will count it as 90% or less. You can never be good enough, so be prepared to be a failure. That is all UPS has for me.

3 comments:

  1. You will never be able to make everyone happy, trust me. People are never happy with your work. In the end all that matters is you are doing the best you can and you have to realize that's just all you can do. I'd say find another job, but they are all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is the irony of work. Do a good job, and you just get more to do. Do a bad job, and people stop asking you to do stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sucky day. Alyssa would say crapadiddly. Wish things were better at work.

    ReplyDelete