Wednesday, November 25, 2009

comic junkie

I love comics and I can’t get enough of them. I don’t just like the spandex heroes jumping building from building either. I really enjoy independent comics, which I know can be superheroes, but at the same time a lot of them are not. I have been reading this one webcomic by Jon Adams called Truth Serum. This comic is a satire on world viewed through really bad heroes. These heroes never do really any good, which makes it even funnier. I was first exposed to Truth Serum when I bought one of the graphic novels about three years ago. This graphic novel was written before the web comic came out. Then recently I bought a new graphic novel. This one took the events of Bush presidency and showed how some of ideas were not the best. Comics are the best. They can look at anything and make statements about them that other might not be able to make. For one most people don’t care about comics, so they get away with a lot of things these days, since they got freedom of speech again. They just got that back in the late nineties. The major two at least did, the small companies never bowed down to the illegal sanctions of the government. I go off in so many tangents it’s not funny. I’m just an odd ball at times. One comic I read this year that was amazing is Satchel Paige Striking out Jim Crow. This comic is a view of how Satchel Paige was able to play baseball with white people viewed through the eyes of another player was forced into retirement from an injury. Of all the comics I’ve read this year, I would say this is the best. It’s a true story about a great man that many people might not know. Plus who doesn’t love a baseball comic? They don’t make many of them.


Comics are a medium that are not explored enough in the US. They can be so many different things. They don’t just have to be about superheroes fighting supervillains. They can be educational tools. If I wanted to teach someone something I would think that comics could have a powerful source to do that. In other countries comics are more than just entertainment. In Japan they have history comics. One of them that I read about was a comic about the invention of noodles in a cup. A small thing I know, but who would want to read about it when you have comic that talks about it. All I am saying is that comics need to be embraced more. I might not be the best source for this, being a comic junkie myself. It’s like asking a crack addict if crack is good for them. I would say my comic addiction is as bad being a crack addict, just ask my parents or wife. I have so many comics and spent thousands of dollars on them. I still wouldn’t want them to give them up. Comics are the best. I made my points, go read comics.

For your enjoiment an ed the business warrior sketch:



No comments:

Post a Comment