Friday, October 30, 2009

the weight

One week ago I was married to my wife. It has been one of the most amazing weeks since then. I consider myself the luckiest guy in all of Idaho right now. With marriage comes a new ordainment to my body. I am now wearing a wedding ring. I’ve never been much of a jewelry guy in my life. My senior year in high school is the only other time I’ve ever really worn a ring. It was a small one I wore on my middle finger. I wore it for about four or five months before I got sick of it and it broke on me. I never replaced it, because I no longer felt like wearing jewelry. My wedding ring is very different than that ring. For one it’s on my ring finger instead of my middle finger. Second it’s much heavier than that ring. It feels like my finger is getting a work out all day. By the end of the night I can barely lift my hand. I’ve never felt like this before. It’s just a ring on my finger and my whole hand is sore. I want to just put my finger into a sling because it’s so heavy.

This weight is more than just physical weight. The soreness is also a reminder of the fact that I’m married. I have never been one of those guys who believe that marriage is prison or the end of my life. I am now seeing why people might say that. My wife is amazing, but this ring is a huge weight. It’s like I have a ball and chain to my finger. The weight helps me remember my wife too. It helps me remember how much she loves. It’s there to help me remember that I have someone to go home to every night. It’s there to show me that I’m no longer alone. My finger might feel like it has a weight on it, but my soul feels as if a weight has been lifted off it. It’s such an odd feeling. My hand feels weighed down, but my soul is feeling like it’s in the heavens. Only my wife has been able to make me feel the way I am. I’ll take a sore hand for a while to be with the most wonderful woman in the world.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh Pllleeeaaaassssseeeee! A weight on your finger, you're sore? It's a good thing you don't lift weights, you'd be always walking around sore! Cute though. I hope you and Allison are SUPER happy! I loved those first months of marriage. Actually, it's all pretty good. We're (your siblings) are all still happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank goodness my wedding ring never weighed so much, or at least I don't remember. It only gets lighter as you both work together to make a successful marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine how heavy a diamond is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dimamond ring allison wears is lighter than my ring.

    ReplyDelete