Friday, February 24, 2012

television part 1 the comedies

I love television. I love stories. I love getting lost in a reality that is way funnier than the one I live in. There is almost nothing greater than a good comedy. A comedy that sucks you in and you need "just one more." I was talking to my sister the other day and we were talking about shows that everyone needs to see. Funny thing is I watch a ton more TV than most people. I also watch a ton more comedies than anyone else I know. I was telling her some shows to watch and she was like make a list. Sure I could have made a list and just sent it to her, but this is so much more fun. So let's get started with the comedies.


Best British Comedy: The IT Crowd
The IT Crowd kills me every time. Roy, Moss, and Jen have some crazy adventures working for the IT department. Imagine if you were watching a bunch of nerds fixing computers. Okay now imagine them funny. Good, now throw that all out, because this show is way funnier than that. The IT Crowd is the reason computer jokes work. "I have it on good authority that if you type google into google you will break the internet." I would give this show five stars out of five every time. The one problem with the show is the lack of episodes. Each series (season) is only six episodes long. I love this show and could watch it all the time. Luckily there are four seasons out to watch right now. I'm still trying to get season four. I hear it's on Netflicks, but I don't own netflicks. Once again this show is the bomb.

Best New Comedy of season: The New Girl or Up All Night or 2 Broke Girls
This one is a hard one. A lot of decent comedies come out this year and I would say three good comedies hit the airwaves. The New Girl has Zooey Deschanel, you know the girl from (500) Days of Summer. The show is about Jess (Zooey) dealing with breaking up with her boyfriend and moving in with three guys she just met. So far it has a ton of quirkiness which is what you want from Zooey. The first couple of episodes fall flat, but after three or four you will be hooked. Justin Long shows up for awhile as Jess's love interest, now those two together is awesome. Plus the three guys aren't just backdrops, they are all have decently fleshed out characters. The guys have there own stories and grow as characters. Great stuff. Up All Night, what can I say other than a cute Mr. Mom TV show. Christina Applegate and Will Arnett are amazing. Plus if you know me, anything Will Arnett does is pure gold to me. So if you're not on the Gob train than you shouldn't even be talking to me. The last show is 2 Broke Girls. I watch the fist half of the season on CBS.com. With the new year they decide to no longer stream the shows on their site. The show was awesome. At least the first half. I hate cbs for how they don't put their shows on Hulu. Their streaming system sucks. The show was fun, to bad I only saw half a season.


Best New Friends Show: Happy Endings
I love Happy Endings. I call it the best new Friends show because it's about friends, like the show friends. If you like friends you'll like this show. The only thing is this show is about 200 times smarter than friends. Okay maybe 300 times better. Last spring when this show came out there was three shows fighting for this spot. Oddly all of them took place in Chicago too. Only one made it to season two, the best ABC comedy right now. The show starts with a wedding that doesn't happen. Then we get tons of great hi-jinks and rules for keeping the gang together after the a horrible accident. Pretty much when I watch this show I always think about friends and how they could have been so much more if they had just pushed it to the next step and been more than a situational comedy. Did we really need ten years of will Ross get with Rachel? No we didn't. Luckily here no one is pinning after one another. You've got a married couple, a gay guy, a drama queen, a v-neck addict, and the little bit slower girl. Plus one of the guys runs a food truck. The best part is they hate hipsters, while kind of being hipsters themselves. It's pure awesomeness.

Okay those are some of the best comedies on TV right now. There are other great comedies to watch to. Here a list of awesome comedies that on there own would be worth it:
  • Raising Hope - 4 out of 5 stars
  • The Office - 4 out of 5 stars
  • Parks and Recreation - 5 out of 5 stars
  • 30 Rock (although the first two seasons are the best) 3 out of 5 stars
  • Community (where are you right now?) 4 out of 5 stars
  • Modern Family 3.5 out of 5 stars
  • The League 4 out of 5 stars (not for everyone)
  • How I Met Your Mother 5 out of 5 stars
  • Breaking In (coming back for a second season!) 3.5 out 5 stars
  • Extras (British comedy 2 series and a special) 4 out of 5 Stars
  • Arrested Development (3 Seasons) 5 out of 5 Stars
  • M.A.S.H. (come on I love that show) 3.5 out of 5 stars
  • Doggie Howser MD (you got to love Neil Patrick Harris) 3 out of 5 stars
So many good shows to watch. I'll be talking about other genres later on. Os be sure to check back. I haven't even talked about Misfits yet. That's a show. What are some of your favorite comedies? Maybe I'll watch them or maybe I already love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment