Friday, October 7, 2011

the new 52 - Static Shock

The new 52 has finished it first month. That would the total relaunch of DC comics line of comics. They rebooted their entire line in September. I stopped reading DC comics at this time too. It felt like it would be a good jumping off point since all the stories were wrapping up. I was only reading two Batman books at the time so not a big loss for me. Then this week was the first rounds of issue two for some of the comics. I also only had one comic I as picking up at the comic shop so I figured I might give one comic a shot. I was thinking about Men at War and Action Comics. I heard some good things about both. Who doesn't like a good Grant Morrison Superman story or a war comic? Well in the end I went a totally different direction. I went with Static Shock! I picked up the first two issues of this book mainly because of 00's cartoon. I didn't watch the cartoon regularly but I did like it.

After reading the first two issues, I have to give Static Shock a passing grade. It was a lot of fun to read. He held onto some of his Milestone roots. Milestone was the company that first published Static Shock comics. They have Hardware being Static mentor in superheroing, since he's still a teen. Hardware stayed back in Dakota while sending Static to New York City to investigate some crime. In the first two issues we start to see a criminal organization that Static will be fighting. He crosses their path by accident at first by stopping someone from stealing a powersuit for S.T.A.R. labs. This leads the organization to want to stop Static. They don't want any Superheroes in New York City. They are using a teenage gang of techheads to pull of most of their crimes, the Slate Gang. The organization puts a hit out on Static and all hell breaks loose, very entertaining. They use great cliff hangers at the end of each comic.

All and all Scott McDaniels does an excellent job writing Static Shock. I've always enjoyed his writing since I can remember. He did a lot of great comics in the 90's and 00's. He wrote my favorite run of Nightwing comics. I hope that he continues with his awesomeness and keep Static Shock in my read list. That's it for the new 52 for me. I plan to read more of it, but probably in trade from the public library. When I get my hands on that I'll let you know if the other new 52 is worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment