Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Mormon Culture: Music Festivals

When I was a junior in High School I had a friend that dad was a Baptist Preacher. Luckily the kid wasn’t all about making a Baptist or even hating on my Mormon beliefs. He kind of got me confused with Amish people and was always asking me if I had electricity in my house. One thing he convinced me to do one Saturday was go to a music festival. This music festival wasn’t a normal one though, it was Christian music festival. I wasn’t really sure what I was going to be hearing when I agreed to go. If it was anything like the religious music I had been hearing in my youth, it was going to suck. To my surprise it was nothing like bad contemporary Mormon music. They had rock bands, rap groups, singer song writers. It was really amazing. Since then I’ve always wondered why Mormons can’t make good music. Sure there are some famous rock stars that are Mormon, but are they really?

Music has always been an important part in Mormon culture. During the pioneer treks Brigham Young would have people break out their fiddles and play upbeat music to dance too. At the time this would be considered the latest music styles. Young was all about the pop music of his time. Lately it seems that the church is against rock music or just popular music, which is fine. I don’t think I would want Weezer approved by my church leaders. The thing is why aren’t Mormons making their own rock music? Why are there not Mormon music festivals? When I hear about, Mormon music it takes place in the church chapel. Why can’t there be some good punk bands that are Mormon. There are a few good Christian punk bands, MxPx, Owl City, and Reliant K. They don’t sing about Christ and how they saved them. They just sing music and are very open about their religious views. How awesome would it be if we had some Mormon bands like that? I know Aquabats might be considered our Mormon band, but the lineup has changed and I don’t know if they are Mormon anymore. I’m not saying I need big bands, but some rock bands. I remember listening to Sweet Haven, whatever happened to them. They would be the perfect band to get behind and build an awesome rock community behind.

Here’s what I want to see:
1. More Mormon rock bands
2. A Mormon Rock band festival that happens once a year
3. No more crap music by the other Michael McLean

I don’t think that is asking for too much. Okay maybe it is. I mean, Mormons hate rock music. That’s what I learned from my church leaders. Of course they’re the same people that say listening to anything other than Mormon Tabernacle Choir will send me to hell. So I never really listen to them. Yeah, I might be a little bad, or more.

3 comments:

  1. Music. What a controversy in the Mormon World. I love modern music and won't give it up no matter what my leaders say. I love music that is not appropriate for church but it does not make me make bad decisions. I am me and my music does not define me but accents who I am.

    How about Neon Trees? They are all LDS, and some are Returned Missionaries. The DJ I listen to said the drummer is/was an honor student at BYU, and she's a girl. So there's another one for your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't give up on good music. I have a huge problem with people saying music will make you evil or bad. I just don't believe that.

    I did not know that Neon Tree was LDS. Maybe living so far away Utah I might not here all the gossip of new Mormon bands. You'll have to keep me updated on other LDS bands that are good. Plus now we have one band to build the Mormon Rock Festival around. Only like 20+ more to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know when you find some more. I can't stand most of the Mormon stuff out there. I will have to listen to Neon Trees and see what they're like. We need to have our own Sundance Festival!

    ReplyDelete