Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Primary, what else is there?

This past Sunday Allison and I took primary off. The primary presidency gave put these cards at the beginning of the year that let you take one Sunday off to go to your regular meetings and they would cover you. It’s one of the nice things they do for you. It was the first time I’ve been to Elder’s quorum and Sunday school since last December. I forgot how nice it was to go. It’s not very often I just get to sit back and listen to intelligent adults talk. I almost never hear a deep discussion on anything, if it’s not between Allison and me. I don’t get out much and work gives me nothing. We don’t hang out with our friends that often, so yeah, this was the first time in a very long time I actually heard the gospel in a class setting.

When I was younger, I hated Sunday school. The teachers were boring and they really never discussed things I didn’t already know. Now, it’s a little different. It’s a hundred times better than being with five-year-olds. It’s still a little boring. Most of the topics are that deep and amazing, but adults have opinions. Opinions that are their own. Opinions that they can clearly state and are passionate about. This is something I’ve been missing. I never voice my opinions in church; I don’t like talking in large groups, so Sunday school will never know what I know.

What I’m getting at here is that I love grown up interaction. I even got to talk to people between classes! I haven’t had time to do that forever. I got to sit next to one of my friends other than my wife. I was able to listen to engaging ideas of the gospel that might challenge me to do some more studying to see if people’s ideas are correct. (Yeah I never take anything at face value at church, doesn’t matter who says.) It was so nice. I miss being out of primary. I miss the little social interaction I use to get at church. Church has lost most of its meaning since they put me in primary. I feel like I’m there to babysit some people’s kids. I feel like I get nothing out of church, especially after seeing what I’ve been missing this past year. I don’t have the social aspect of it or the religious part. It’s a three hour waste of time for me. They need to change how the primary teachers work.

They need to make it possible that each teacher gets one Sunday a month or every two months where they go to their meetings. That’s not too much to ask. If any other primary teacher feels like I do, I’m sorry. It’s not right how the primary program works. I feel like I’m not really part of the ward when I’m in primary. They need to make it possible for people like me able to go to Elders quorum sometimes. It would be nice to meet some people in my quorum.

4 comments:

  1. In our ward they had team teachers for most classes. This way you could go to your meetings every other week or work it so you were out of town on the weeks you didn't teach. It worked out great, but we also have a small primary and all the classes are a combo of two age groups. You should talk to your Primary Pres and mention that you would really like to go to Priesthood and RS once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Donna. I'm not called as a primary teacher right now, but I substitute all the time. But I only do it for the other kids. But since they are older kids I go to RS or YW for the third hour. I think you should talk to your Primary President too. Surely they could work something out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never taught in the Primary and probably shouldn't say that, but I know my friends who do love the children, but miss the adult interaction. Take advantage of what you can and enjoy it all - even the children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really? I find it weird to go to the other classes now. I'm like "you guys bore me, when can we start pointlessly jumping around?"

    ReplyDelete