Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dreaming in Nauvoo

Every morning on the way home from work (I come home at 8am) my wife wants to tell me all about her dreams. She has many strange and odd dreams about everything. Many times I have no clue what she’s talking about, but she is talking about her dreams. I don’t remember my dreams very often. I’m not sure why this is. Allison says that men just don’t remember dreams. It has something to do with my biology. I can accept this. The question is if I do remember a dream is it important? Is it really a repressed memory? I don’t know. A while ago I had a dream. I still remember it days later, which makes me wonder if it was real.

My dream takes place when I was a teen, probably around 14 or 15. I was out on a scouting trip; a scouting trip with my Father. We were going canoeing or kayaking. Here’s the weird part we were doing it in Nauvoo. When I think of Nauvoo, I’m not talking about the church part, but the real city part. With buildings and houses people live in. It was really weird, because Nauvoo is on the Mississippi and you don’t go canoeing on the Mississippi. I think I might have been dreaming about the New River in West Virginia and the city of Nauvoo. Both places I’ve been as a Boy Scout.

During the rafting part of the trip my canoe flipped over and I was hurt. My arm might have been broken, but I never found out. My Dad got me out of the river and drove us into Nauvoo. Once we got there he refused to take me to the hospital. Instead he drove me to an Appliance store. I kept asking to go to the hospital, but my Dad said he knew a guy here that would fix me right up. I thought this was weird, considering I don’t think my father would ever deny me medical attention if I was hurt. I sat on a washing machine as I waited for this guy my dad knew.

My dream took an odd turn here. I found some old school Human Torch comics while waiting. I’m talking 1940’s Human Torch comics. This is the android Human Torch from Timely Comics (which later became Marvel Comics). While looking at them I realized they were about me. I was this android and these were stories about me in the 40’s.

The guy finally showed up to look at my arm during this part. He was wearing jean overalls and hat. He looked like a mechanic more than a doctor. He looked at my arm and was like the kid will be fine. Then the dream ended.

So weird and odd. I don’t think I’m the Human Torch or that my Dad refused to take me to the hospital, but what could this dream mean. I’ve been thinking about it for over a week and I have no clue. Maybe it means nothing and I just remember it because it had my Dad in it. I don’t know if I’ll ever really know.

5 comments:

  1. It just means you need more sleep:)

    I love the dream!! So funny!! I love when you say...My drean took an odd turn here - like Dad not taking you to the hospital but to an Appliance store or you on the river is not odd enough:)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a dream! I can understand the melding of 2 dreams into 1, but, take you to a hardware store. You know I love hardware stores, but I think I could have found a vet or something for your arm. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several reoccurring dreams of me serving another full-time two-year mission... Those are even scarier than my nightmares of being hunted by crazy old men in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty awesome dream! I rarely remember my dreams, maybe 2-3 a year. But I always remember the weird ones. Does that mean they're all weird?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna - I think maybe they're not all that weird. Most of the dreams I can't remember really well are me working. I'm glad I can't remember them. Who wants to dream of putting boxes in trucks?

    ReplyDelete