Friday, March 26, 2010

how i make through the work day

I’ve noticed lately that I have had some pretty boring jobs. Sure they sound pretty cool until you’re doing them. They are mostly just repetitive actions over and over again. There’s not much variety in them, which is fine for me. I’m really good at just doing one thing over and over again, but I have the mind of three year-old must of the time. I need to keep it entertained or else my mind will race around. The first week at my new job I wasn’t allowed to use my iPod and it was killing me. I really need something to listen to keep my mind from going crazy. In a nut shell what I do is listen to music and podcasts to make it through the day.

The podcast I listen to are mostly from HowStuffWorks.com. I down load Stuff You Missed in History Class, Stuff You Should Know, and Stuff from the Science Lab. They are all funny informative podcasts. Without them I’d probably go crazy. They are packed full of good knowledge that I use to keep my small talk going with people. I also like a little NPR, but just Wait, Wait don’t tell me and Car Talk. Probably the two best radio shows on NPR. They are a nice little two hours I look forwards to every week during the week. The best blog is Current Geek. It’s a podcast about the current geeky stories out there in the news. I’m a geek so this right up my alleyway. I love listening to these short stories to find out that people are making jetpack and weather channel that compare the weather to star wars planets. Blogs, can’t live without them.

Lately for music I’ve been really into what I call pop electro. It’s pretty fun music to listen too. The main CD I’m listening to right now is Plastic Beach by Gorillaz. They have a nice electric jazz feel on this album. It’s made me go back and listen to some of their older music again and realize I really like their sound. Listening to them has also made me listen to other electro music. Hellogoodbye is always an awesome band. Then a new band I found was the Electric Valentine. They have a very pop feel to them. More pop than Gorillaz ever has been. Music, so much fun.

So pretty much I run on autopilot while I’m at work. My mind is focused on podcast and music so much more than what I’m actually doing. I just use muscle memory to do my job, which is kind of scary that I can do that. Plus I’ve been doing that for multiple jobs over the years. I think it’s almost time to try and find a challenging job again.

1 comment:

  1. You are turning into your Dad (isn't that scary). Those are my 2 favorite NPR show. Wait, my son is listening to NPR. Next thing I know you will be watching PBS.

    ReplyDelete