Friday, May 27, 2011

ragdoll

Once in a blue moon I give some crazy comic a chance and will read/buy it. Okay I'll read almost any comic I can get my hands, but buy that's a different story. I like to stick to characters that I know and love like Spider-man, Wolverine, Invincible, Batman, and other cool characters like that. Back when I had a bit of more income flow I would would dabble in collecting comics in a big way, but now it's very small. I can count on two hands all the comics I buy. So, I decide to give a comic I've heard very little about a chance about four months ago, Lil' Depressed Boy. This comic doesn't have superheroes. This comic doesn't have tights. This comic doesn't have demons or supernatural events. The character is not detective or PI. He's a ragdoll named Lil' Depressed Boy or LDB for short. In all cases he could easy have been a normal boy, but for a gimmick they made him a ragdoll instead. I think this was a clever idea. The whole world around him is normal and they treat him like he's a normal person. I think this perfect. I think we all have a little ragdoll in us. I know I relate to LDB alot. He's shy, really like music, and plays video games. Plus he's not so great with women, until he meets this cute girl at the laundry mat. Thus starts the great boy meets girl, boy likes girl. Hi-jinx occur. The first four issues of the comic are out now. I'm not totally in love with the book, mainly because I feel like I could have been LDB before I got married. The story hit really close to home. Going to parties with her but not fitting in with her friends. Trying to be cool, but feeling like a fool the entire time. The story has so much love and depth in it. This isn't a comic that someone made up. This is someone's heart and soul. I'm not sure if the author meant to do that or if he's telling the story from his own experiences, because it feel like it. I think this is one of the best personal stories out there for comics. If you ever want to read comics, but not superheros or large space battles, but a personal story this is an amazing story for that. Plus I drew a little comic for it. Check it out!


4 comments:

  1. It's so cool when you find a character you connect to like that. This comic sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for checking out our book and taking the time to tell others about it.

    Any chance you'd be cool with us running your drawing as one of the doodles in our letters section?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, maybe one of your drawings will make print!! Yea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea. Personal story in comics. Cool!

    ReplyDelete