Tuesday, July 20, 2010

story story night july 2010

Tonight after a long day at work Allison and I went to Story Story Night at the Linen Building. The story theme for this month was Stories on the Road, stories about travel. We listen to three stories by featured artist and then the program breaks for about twenty minutes for an intermission. During the intermission you can put your name into a drawing to go up on stage for the second half of story story night. It's totally random and no one knows who is going to go up. I put my name in without telling Allison tonight. I figured it's the last one we can go to before we leave and I have an okay story to tell. The intermission ends and the host gets up on stage. My stomach is up in my throat almost waiting to see if I get to go. They pull out the first name. The host looks at it for awhile. To me it felt like two minutes, but it was probably only a few seconds. Then she goes on to talk about what the story slam is. It's a five minute story that you can tell without any notes. It's you and a microphone in front of a packed building. A little scary. They're were at least 150 people there. There was standing room only for a lot of people. After she tells the rules She looks at the paper for a little longer. My heart is racing. There's no way they're going to call me. A ton of people put their names in the hat. Then she say, "Michael McLean." Allison looks at me like what? You put your name in and didn't tell me. I get on stage and stumble through the first minute of my story, but I did it. I got up in front of room of strangers and told my story. It might not have been the best story, but it wasn't the worse. Allison said people were laughing all the way through, but my heart is all I could hear. It was loud as I stood in front of those people. As you might know I am not a public speaker. I get flustered easy and leave out tons of details. It was amazing to actually do it though. The story I told was my New York story about the crazy guy trying to sell me a fake ID. It was good, just not my best telling of it.

5 comments:

  1. I would have loved to hear you tell the story. That is a great accomplishment to tell your story in front of a packed room of people. I'm proud of you, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we could of been there. I love that NYC story, it's a really good one because I never got that type of proposition while I live there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty awesome that you got up and told your story! And i'm sure you did a great job, don't sell yourself short. And I've never heard the story, so put it up here one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Donna! I haven't heard the story either! Put it up here! I think that's totally awesome you did that. I'm a terrible speaker and leave tons of details out too. Share your story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so fun and so crazy. They called out the name and I was like, "wait, that's my husband!" I had no idea he put his name in. The story was great. People were laughing really hard. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete