Sunday, November 4, 2012

fourteen year-olds

Today I had to teach Sunday School for the 14 year-olds at church.  It wasn't as bad as teaching the adult gospel doctrine classes.  I didn't feel like they were judging my teaching skills, but I totally taught a cooler lesson for the 14 year-olds.  I made this cool little booklet to go along with my lesson.  I thought it would be really cool, but I'm not sure anymore.  Look at this, I've never received a pamphlet at church to go along with the lesson.

It has to be cool. When I'm talking about searching the scriptures I have Sherlock Holmes searching for clues!  If Sherlock Holmes isn't awesome, I just don't know what is.  Benedict Cumberbatch is the coolest guy around and he's Sherlock Holmes.  I guess my British love of Sherlock was lost of them.  Still the pamphlet is cool.  The back has a picture of the Angel Moroni.  Maybe I'm to much of a nerd and this stuff is lame.  I can't tell because I'm to close to the situation.

So the 14 year-olds were not excited at all during the lesson.  I'm not sure if they were bored either.  The lesson went super fast for me.  I didn't get very far through the part I planned to present which left a whole section off.  I really tried to get them involved int he lesson but my questions and stories didn't seem that engaging to them.  I must be getting old.  I can't relate to kids these days.



7 comments:

  1. I think your pamphlet is great. 14 year olds can be a tough crowd. Just keep doing the good stuff you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think it is kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are cool pamphlets! I'd love to get them. I may have you help me with my YW lessons in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can help you out on making some booklets. You just have to come up with the information. I find that to be the hard part.

      Delete
  4. Super cool stuff, send the pdf's this way why don't you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! 14 year olds are hard to teach, they act bored and don't want to answer questions! It's not you at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To bad your talent was wasted on 14 year olds. I think they tend to have bad attitude all the time. I do love the pamphlets, could I get a pdf. It may come in handy when teaching Relief Society - I tend to teach differently than the other ladies. Plus I think they look cool. I think with kids it's all about food. - Sally

    ReplyDelete