Tuesday, January 3, 2012

goals for 2011 are done

I don't make many new year's resolutions. I never have. I kind of always thought they were stupid. When I was a kid I thought if I made new year's resolution I could do them, but I would fail after a month or two. Never in my life have I ever completed a single new year's resolution. That was until last year. Last year I set out with the most ambitious resolution I have ever tried. I decide to draw something everyday. Kind of like a daily comic because I love comics. After 365 days I can say I did it! I kind of thought I would fail. I fail at a lot of things so I kind of figured I'd give this up after a month or two. I thought about giving up, put I didn't. I now have three full and one half filled sketch books for 2011 drawings. Now I'm not going to lie, I did miss a few days here and there, but I always went back and did them, I have 365 drawings all done in 2011. I never said they had to be done by end of day, just that I had a comic day and I have a drawing for each day. I loved doing them too. Summer was favorite time to draw them. I was really inspired by the baseball season. I drew a few baseball players from past and present. I really tried to capture their movement in my drawings. I was able to do this with some of the comics but not all of them. Another great thing that came out of my comics was my presidential or political comics. My father encouraged me to draw all the presidents after I put up a funny little comic on President's Day on my comic blog. I drew these comic with fever till October. Then in October I decide to dedicate the month to monsters. That was a really fun month of comics. Then I picked them back up in November but didn't finish. Instead I drew lost of other comics leaving the Barack Obama comic still to do. I'm glad to say I finished his comic yesterday. I still have a few more politicians to draw, but seeing as it is now a weekly comic on my comic blog I'll be looking for even more politicians here soon.



Drawing wasn't my only goal. On Goodreads they put up a challenge on their site to read books. You could enter how many books you think you could read in a year. I put down a hundred, but that's including comic books. I planned on reading fifteen regular books with eighty-five comics. I was able to succeed in this goal too. I read twenty regular books. I haven't been reading this many books since I got out of high school. I felt good about this number. I read a lot of different type of books. Allison has had that effect on me. She's got me reading tons of cool things.

All and all I think 2011 was a good year. I did the things I set out to do. Drawing a comic a day was really hard, but rewarding. It took a lot for me to come up with enough ideas to fill a full year. I don't know when I'll that again, but hopefully next year. This year I'm taking a break and going to work on more personal stories. I'm bring back my Lost Guns series. I loved drawing those comics in college and I want to get back to telling stories about my life. I plan on drawing at least one a week. Plus I got my goodreads goal for this year. Plus you can see my 365 at flickr.

Here's for another great year.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Mike! Congrats, I don't think I've ever completed a New Year's Resolution, so you've got me beat. I think I'll make a quilting goal, that I can probably do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for finishing your goals. That is a hard thing to do. Your goals were not easy either. But, you did it!! I'm with Donna, I'll make a quilting goal.

    ReplyDelete